Marčana is a place situated North of Pula-Pola on the crossroads of Pula-Labin and Vodnjan-Krnica roads. It is the centre of the homonymous municipality. The historical sources give evidence of the dense population and tempestuous history of these areas during the ancient times. Marčana was first mentioned in writing in 1243 in the act of Pula’s oath of loyalty to Venice. Specifically, Marčana was then a part of Pula-Pola area and afterwards in 1331 it came under the authority of the Republic of Venice. Since this area was affected by an outbreak of plague on several occasions during the 15th century, Marčana and its surroundings virtually lost all the inhabitants. During the next century previously mentioned the Republic of Venice is systematically being settled by the refugees running away from Greece and Dalmatia.

The centre of the place is dominated by the parish church of St. Peter and Paul from the 15th century with the bell-tower dating back to 1846. Marčana is also famous for the medieval church of St. Anthony of Padua widened in late 16th century and consecrated in 1709.

The undiscovered and attractive coast of Marčana steeply plunges into the clean and deep Adriatic Sea. This coastal area is dominated by green peninsulas and bays which coast offers a priceless view of the horizon bathing in the blue.


Praises from abroad to Istria

  • 10 Best Wine Travel Destinations 2015

  • World's 2nd Best Olive Oil Region 2010 - 2015

  • Top 10 Valentine's Day Retreats 2014

  • Best Wine Regions for Winter and Spring Travel 2014

  • Best Beach Holiday Destination 2013

  • Istria Top Summer Food Destination 2013

Already receiving significant earned media in outlets such as National Geographic Traveler Huffington Post and mention in notable guidebooks like Lonely Planet, international journalists and tour operators alike continue the praise heaped upon the Istrian peninsula and all it has to offer making it one of the world's top destinations.