It is reasonable to assume that the prominent nobles Borisi (Boricius, Borisci, Boriš) are the only patrician family originating from Bar who preserved until the 20th century. It is no longer existent, but the history of this clan may be traced along the entire Adriatic coast, from the Venetian terraferma to Bar, from where they originated. The patrician clan Borisi embodies ethno-cultural and social interactions, as well as communication courses and influences of civilisation heritage of the Adriatic environment. Whether being nobles, commons or peasants, people from Bar and its surroundings have always been jealously guarding their identity, the religious one in particular, remaining faithful to the Catholic church and Vicar of Christ on earth even during the most challenging times.
The Borisi moved from Bar to Istria at the end of the 16th century escaping Turkish attacks; most probably first to Koper, since in 1617 they are referred to as nobility in Koper. Their subordinates followed with their families as well. Their founder was Bernardo Borisi, who had two brothers: Francesco and Marc’Antonio; the latter was a Venetian dragoman in Constantinople; the elected translator in Constantinople, and the first Venetian to be named Dragomano grande. The Borisi referred to their ancestor, the great dragoman (official translator) when huge expenses regarding refugees’ accommodation were imposed to them. In terms of ownership, Funtana was not passed to Bernardo Borisi directly. In the 15th century as a part of goods of Saint Mauro, that is, as a diocesan estate, it was assigned to the cathedral capitol of Poreč.
The canons then ceded the feud to the pasenatic captain based in Sveti Lovreč, which was finally sold to Borisi in 1595. Later on, when the church was built (in 1621) and the life in the feud was normalised, the capitol of Poreč assigned this family and its feud the Molindrio bay.