Water has always been one of the most important living conditions. Springs, wells and cisterns used to be the lifeline of any settlement, including Labin. Labin is the right place to learn about past water springs and wells, commissioned by rich noble families. The Path of the Labin Wells encompasses several springs such as the Vrućka, the Blažićevo or the Negri Cave spring, numerous wells in the town itself including the Negri family well in the Negri Palace, the well in the Giuseppina Martinuzzi Street, the one in the yard of the Scampicchio Palace and on the terrace of the Vinko Šaina painting studio, and the one located on the plateau of the Paolo Sfeci Street. The Path of the Labin Wells passes the fountain on the San Marco Promenade, erected in 1937, when the town's water supply network was built as well.
Before it, springs supplied the town with water. Those with means built wells, large tanks for rainwater collection. Those were most often the privilege of the rich, while the houses in villages had their own small water containers, with dressed stone as a base for the grape carrying canister. The importance of the water spring is reflected in the old wedding custom. The bride used to approach the spring carrying a grape canister, and the best man would help her fill it, while the wedding party would throw money in the pot for marital bliss.