The area of Buzeština has been inhabited since ancient times. Proof of this are prehistoric remains of stone objects found in Golupska cave, Podrebarska cave and some other caves. Illyrian tribes inhabited these areas in the Bronze Age when they began to build hilltop settlements surrounded by walls.
From AD 177 to AD 476 this area was under Roman rule.
At the time of the plague, Buzet escaped this deadly disease, so that in AD 192 its inhabitants put up a commemorative tablet dedicated to goddess Augusta for having protected the town Pinquentum (Buzet) from this disease. So, Buzet was mentioned more than 1800 years ago. This period was followed by Byzantine rule and after the great movement of the peoples came the Croats and Slovenes. At the end of the 8th century Istria was under the rule of the Franks who introduced the feudal system. In order to protect Frankish properties, towns - fortifications were built, with German families as their feudal lords. The remains of Crni Grad, Bijeli Grad above Ročko Polje, as well as Petrapilosa castle in the valley of the Bračana river date from this period.
From 1421 Buzet recognized the Aquileian patriarch, and from that year until 1797 it came under Venetian rule. In 1435 the Buzet Statute was introduced, which was also recognized by the Venetian Doge.
In the mid 16th century Buzet prospered since this was a relatively peaceful period. It was a time when crafts developed, care was taken about possible enemy attacks, providing arms, fortifying the town walls. Mala šterna (Small well) was renovated at that time and both Velika and Mala vrata (Large and Small gates) were built.
After the fall of the Venetian Republic Istria came under Austrian rule, which lasted until 1918.
In the 19th and beginning of 20th century, within the national revival, the struggle for equality of the Croatian people was carried out in the field of politics, culture, economy and education. In 1887 the municipality of Buzet came under Croatian rule with Fran Flego as its first mayor.