During the 1930s the Raša mines were part of the company Azienda Carboni Italiani. The mines were recording a sharp rise in production due to the needs of fascist autarkic economy.
The period between 1936-1942 marks an era of the largest company expansion with the mines in Raša considered as the most sophisticated in Europe, employing more than ten thousand workers and reaching the top production of 1.158,000 tons of coal in 1942.
The entrance to the mine is located behind the former Prvomajska factory management building.
Raša pit was opened in 1928 and closed in 1966. The facilities in Raša pit are totally preserved.