Compared to the main medieval town gate in the eastern part of Vrsar. this gate is smaller, therefore it is called the small town gate. The gate was built in the second half of the 13th century, when the Romanesque style was prevailing in Istrian towns. The gate frame consisting of thirteen stone blocks was carved out very precisely. In the past the gate used to be part of the town walls. Two gate wings made of hard Istrian oak have been preserved till the present days. Especially interesting are the stone rings that hold the wings. The gate is provided with a closing mechanism. Above it there is a fragment of the town walls and a stone tile with shallow relief representing St. Mark's lion. As to its artistic characteristics, the lion resembles the one above the east gate and is probably made by the same artist. This lion also holds a closed book in his paws, has raised wings and lowered tail. The relief was made between the 14th and 16th century. Most likely it was brought from somewhere else and put above the gate about 1778. when the Venetian republic became the ruler of Vrsar. Just by the gate two iron balls are built in the wall. They probably originate from the English ships which at the beginning of the 19th century cannoned Istrian towns, at that time under occupation of Napoleon's soldiers.