ISTRA INFO COVID-19 X  

Churches

Parish church of Visitation of Blessed Virgin Mary to St. Elizabeth

The Parish church of Visitation of Blessed Virgin Mary to St. Elizabeth is a large building made of white stone on the remains of a 9th century basilica. The church is a record-holder of sorts as this is the fifth church in a row constructed on the same spot.

The first construction there was a chapel, followed by a Byzantine building, a Gothic basilica, and a church erected on the same site in 1638. Today's church was commissioned by Tomaso Bembo, the mayor of Bale from 1845 to 1891.The Parish church of Visitation of Blessed Virgin Mary to St. Elizabeth was finished and consecrated in1882. Today is has a stone sarcophagus decorated with a 9th century interlacing-ribbon pattern, a wooden crucifix, a Renaissance wood relief polyptych, liturgical vestments and equipment from the 15th-18th century, and a wooden statue of the Lady of Mon Perin from the 15th century. Many people believe that the statue is endowed with magical properties.

According to the legend, during one extremely dry year people prayed before the statue and as a result clouds gathered over Bale bringing torrential outpours, thus saving the village from the consequences of a severe drought.Mon Perin is the name of the little hill where Bale is situated.  

Show