Istrian building heritage of the Venetian era

Twin Gates of Motovun


Motovun is a medieval town with the best preserved town walls in Istria. As the walls on its western side form two defensive structures, the town is entered by the twin gate. The lapidarium with inscriptions and the relief from the Antiquity and the Middle Ages is located in the passage of the external town gates, while the inner ones have Early Gothic features.

A high tower was erected above the main town gates in the 16th century. It gave the inhabitants of Motovun security, and made their enemies fear. The tower is also known as The New Gate, the name which stems from the 17th century when it was renovated in 1607 during the rule of the Marco Pasqualagia podestà. As the tower and the communal palace were joined, the tower had access to the citadel walls.

Twin Gates of Motovun
Twin Gates of Motovun
Twin Gates of Motovun
Twin Gates of Motovun
Twin Gates of Motovun
Twin Gates of Motovun
Twin Gates of Motovun
Twin Gates of Motovun
Twin Gates of Motovun
Twin Gates of Motovun
Twin Gates of Motovun
Twin Gates of Motovun
Twin Gates of Motovun
Twin Gates of Motovun
Show