Lighthouses

The lighthouse of St. Nicholas


On the west side of the islet of St. Nicholas which is situated near Poreč, the Venetians have built in 1403 a 15 meter tall lighthouse on the highest part of the island. It was the highest lighthouse at the time, on the eastern coast of the Adriatic and was visible at a great distance.

The fire which has burned because of the trees that grew on the island for centuries on the top of the lighthouse was replaced in the 17th century by a large lantern. The lighthouse was no longer so important during the Austro-Hungarian rule.

Show